[Standards-JIG] proto-JEP: Invisible Command

Trejkaz trejkaz at trypticon.org
Tue May 16 15:00:20 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 00:49, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Trejkaz wrote:
> >>
> >> I think we would do that by sending directed presence.
> >
> > That would seem to work in the situation where you only want a few people
> > to see you, but what about the situation where you only want a few people
> > _not_ to see you?
>
> Is that a common use case? Even "invisible but visible only to these
> three people" seems uncommon. But "visible to all but invisible to these
> three people and just for this one session" seems quite uncommon.

Perhaps.  Though when someone I really don't want to talk to comes online, it
would be good to have a quick way to hide myself from them.  Privacy lists
could do the job, I guess, as long as the interface was intuitive enough that
I didn't have to think "let's hand-edit my firewall rules" every time I open
the dialog. :-)

(I think this situation is more useful than being completely invisible and
then wanting to be visible to a few people, but you're right... they're
probably on the same level.)

TX

             Email: trejkaz at trypticon.org
         Jabber ID: trejkaz at trypticon.org