Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed May 17 07:20:00 UTC 2006

Jean-Louis Seguineau schrieb:
> This JEP highlights a point where XMPP could improve its presence
> distribution model. Obviously we would streamline traffic by delegating
> probing and advertising to the target server. The greater gains thought
> would only be achieved when a particular user has more than one contact
> located on a remote server. If one user has a widely spread remote contact
> distribution (i.e. many remote contacts each on different servers), the real
> gain would be lower than expected.
For the record: you even gain some bytes when there is just a
single contact on the remote server.

> But beyond any discussions about how much traffic decrease would be
> incurred, the proposed implementation will break the XMPP inter domain
> routing. And that is not acceptable.
>
> I could also agree to add some extension inside a <presence/> stanza
> indicating it is a 'smart unicast' destined to a remote server. It must in
> any case be addressed to the remote server, because without a 'to' attribute
> for an s2s, routing becomes impossible.
S2S routing? Are we talking about the same architecture,
http://www.xmpp.org/specs/rfc3920.html#arch-network
with direct connections between any two servers?
We're only talking about leaving out 'to' on the S2S wire.

> If we believe the gain of this approach is worth modifying servers behavior,
> I propose to change the implementation to something like
>
> <presence from='romeo at montague/inlove' to='capulet'/>
>
> Or if we want to be more specific
>
> <presence from='romeo at montague/inlove' to='capulet'>
>     <broadcast xmlns='some_new_xmpp_namespace'/>
> </presence>
>
> In both cases note the to attribute with the bare JID of the remote server.
Can you possibly get that information from stream:to?

Philipp