Philipp Hancke fippo at goodadvice.pages.de
Wed May 17 17:47:47 UTC 2006

Michal vorner Vaner wrote:
> And no, you can send message to more people even with this jabber
> protocol. You have MUCs,
which is using the same distribution strategy.
Even IRC is more intelligent.

> send more stanzas. Where is the problem? Who do you think will take his
> long hours to write, debug and maintain this thing that will save _few
> bytes_. In the meantime he writes it, we will have double the fast
> lines.
3. Bandwidth is infinite.
The Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing by Peter Deutsch
http://today.java.net/jag/Fallacies.html

>>If the rosters are not in sync, it doesn't matter if they aren't in sync
>>on the sender's or on the receiver's side. If so far you were able to live
>>with occasional glitches and occasional necessity to re-establish a
>>subscription, the multicast variant of the operation won't make that more
>>or less complicated. It only gives you less traffic on the network.
>>

> I disagree here. You have the roster in more than one place. Such a
> situation always leads to bug which are hard to detect and even harder
> to find. This is the situation half of programing textbooks warn
> against.
The roster _is_ distributed in more than one place.
E.g. if Romeo has subscribed to the presence of Juliet, this is also
stored in Juliets roster, otherwise she would not know how to respond
to probes properly.