Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed May 17 17:55:17 UTC 2006

>> Something like JEP-0033 but where instead of including all the
>> addresses in each stanza you negotiate a distribution list with the
>> remote server and just send the stanza to that distribution list that
>> in turn distributes the stanza to all the people i.e.

> which is what we do. We only use the roster instead of negotiating a
> list. This assumes that the roster is synchronized between
> the two servers of course.

Yes but the problem is that in the XMPP/Jabber protocol its not just the
roster that defines who is allowed to receive your presence, the privacy
lists also play a part, and what you are suggesting breaks privacy
lists, whereas what I am suggesting would work fine without breaking
anything.

> How are you going to negotiate that list without disclosing
> parts of your privacy list to the remote server?

Why does it matter if it does? Its not the server you are wanting to not
receive your presence its the user at that server that you have blocked,
if you dont trust the server why are you even communicating with them in
the first place?

Richard