Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Wed May 17 21:24:21 UTC 2006

warning: off topic.

Richard Dobson typeth:
| > | be determined protocol which is represented by its own JID, and any
| > | <presence from='romeo at montague/inlove' to='s4134edd at multicast.capulet'/>
| >
| > oh i love jid hacks  :)
| >
| > if jid were defined as a url, one could encode things nicer,
| > but huh that's another story.
|
| Huh? sorry but what are you on about?, this is not a hack in any way
| shape or form.

a subdomain which doesn't exist? a username which is a secret code?
wouldn't xmpp:capulet/%s4134edd be a nicer encoding for instance?
you could even transfer it in a non-xmpp medium.

but yes i imagine you got used to the string at string notation limitation.
i find it quite impractical i cannot specify a person on a different
protocol as a target in an xmpp message. like for instance a person on
irc. they have irc: urls, instead i have to use a component with a
subdomain-like syntax. and obviously our own addresses won't work:
psyc://psyced.org/~lynX is illegal even if both the jabber client and
server knew what we're talking about. whereas you can very well use
xmpp:user at host in a psyc message and the system will deliver the
message to a jabber server. you could say psyc doesn't just federate
users and chats, it also federates chat protocols and addressing forms.