Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed May 17 21:37:43 UTC 2006

> ok, let's look at the broader picture. we are talking about a distribution
> syntax for several purposes. presence doesn't change often, but MUC and
> pubsub do. what will you do when someone needs to be added or removed to
> the list, will you make an even more complicated protocol?

More complicated than what? as far as I can see it can be very simple to
add and remove people from the list e.g.:

add a JID

<iq from="senderserver" to="list3433 at multicast.receiverserver"
type="set" id="232">
	<list xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/distlist">
		<add>jid at receiverserver</add>
	</list>
</iq>

delete a JID

<iq from="senderserver" to="list3433 at multicast.receiverserver"
type="set" id="232">
	<list xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/distlist">
		<remove>jid at receiverserver</remove>
	</list>
</iq>

add and delete several

<iq from="senderserver" to="list3433 at multicast.receiverserver"
type="set" id="232">
	<list xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/distlist">
		<add>jid1 at receiverserver</add>
		<remove>jid2 at receiverserver</remove>
		<remove>jid3 at receiverserver</remove>
	</list>
</iq>

Whats so complicated and difficult about that?

> or will you
> resend the complete data structure again? i can imagine for pubsub that
> would be quite an issue to handle.
>
> consider the alternative of our JEP where this data is already available
> and simply needs a little extra care than when kept locally.

Sorry but I fail to see how your spec addresses pubsub (i.e. message
stanzas), it will only work for presence, please explain.

Richard