Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 17 22:40:45 UTC 2006

On Wed May 17 23:17:33 2006, Pedro Melo wrote:
> You are not breaking anything: two parties are negotiating an
> extension between them that allows them to be more efficient. It
> doesn't affect anybody else.

It's not that you're wrong, as such, it's that you're over
simplifying.

In order to make this change, you'd have to negotiate an entirely
different protocol, not just an extension, because XMPP is defined,
for better or for worse, as having a mandatory to attribute in server
to server stanzas, and the nature of the specification makes this
impossible to undo.

Now, as it happens, Joe Hildebrand says this is more than a cosmetic
issue, but purely from a specification authoring standpoint, I don't
think it's feasable.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"