Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Wed May 17 22:42:01 UTC 2006

Hi,

On May 17, 2006, at 10:37 PM, Richard Dobson wrote:

>> ok, let's look at the broader picture. we are talking about a
>> distribution
>> syntax for several purposes. presence doesn't change often, but
>> MUC and
>> pubsub do. what will you do when someone needs to be added or
>> removed to
>> the list, will you make an even more complicated protocol?
>
> More complicated than what? as far as I can see it can be very
> simple to add and remove people from the list e.g.:
>
> add a JID
>
> <iq from="senderserver" to="list3433 at multicast.receiverserver"
> type="set" id="232">
> 	<list xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/distlist">
> 		<add>jid at receiverserver</add>
> 	</list>
> </iq>
>
> delete a JID
>
> <iq from="senderserver" to="list3433 at multicast.receiverserver"
> type="set" id="232">
> 	<list xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/distlist">
> 		<remove>jid at receiverserver</remove>
> 	</list>
> </iq>
>
> add and delete several
>
> <iq from="senderserver" to="list3433 at multicast.receiverserver"
> type="set" id="232">
> 	<list xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/distlist">
> 		<add>jid1 at receiverserver</add>
> 		<remove>jid2 at receiverserver</remove>
> 		<remove>jid3 at receiverserver</remove>
> 	</list>
> </iq>
>
> Whats so complicated and difficult about that?

Nothing really... And it probably be something like that when you
generic multicast service.

In the case of the presence information, this service is not
required. It's already there, in the roster information. So just use it.

Keeping the rosters in sync is a problem already, not related to this
proto-jep and should be solved in a separate jep or in 3920bis.

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo
SMTP: melo at co.sapo.pt