[Standards-JIG] Distribution of stanza types

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed May 17 22:44:31 UTC 2006

On Wed May 17 22:58:31 2006, Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> Carlo v. Loesch wrote:
>> There once was a statistics page of one popular server, which
>> showed
>> the popularity of stanza types in comparison. Presence stanzas
>> ranged
>> at a 3x rate above message stanzas and the rest followed.
>
> I guess it was at my server, where you got this messages. I just
> checked the log of the three biggest domains (amessage.be,
> amessage.de, and amessage.info) where for the last 9,211,845
> stanzas that have been delivered to these three domains (either
> from remote or locale JIDs) it's the following:
>
> 71.4 % are presence stanzas (not including subscription)
> 14.5 % are message stanzas
> 13.4 % are iq stanzas
> 0.6% are subscription stanzas

Whilst these are interesting for their own sake, I'm not clear how
much they're telling us in relation to the current discussion.

I'd be curious to know how many of the presence stanzas are such that
the proposal would help. In other words, how many are remote users
with multiple friends on your server?

I ask because I get a considerable number of presence stanzas - far
more than messages - over my client link. Maybe it's because I have
no friends, and nobody talks to me, but I suspect it's the constant
away/available switching. No amount of multicast is going to reduce
that.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"