[Standards-JIG] Jabber external components: going out of style

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed May 17 23:23:16 UTC 2006

> But your argument is wrong. Recent JEPs are getting more and more
> integrated or tightly coupled with the server. One example: PEP. Its the
> current favorite for a lot of problems, and it's my favorite two. But an
> external component implementation is out of the question.

PEP is a bit of a different issue really as its tied to a particular
user thus why its necessary to be tightly coupled, but it is rather the
exception to the rule, we dont normally tie protocols into the main
servers domain unless absolutely necessary, in PEPs case thats the whole
point of it, but in general we wouldnt do as he suggested and for
example tie a multicasting component into the main servers address space
in the protocol itself, yes you could implement it that way if you
really wanted, but we wouldnt have that as a requirement in the protocol
itself.

Richard