[Standards-JIG] Jabber external components: going out of style

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Thu May 18 04:29:27 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 20:22, Jay Carlson wrote:
> > It just that I liked the old way of building external components that
> > could be used on several servers :).
>
> If I'm understanding this correctly, it's no longer sufficient to let a
> contract for an RFC 392x compliant server and then count on licensing
> best-of-breed components from third parties.  It may not even be possible.

Sure it is.  The RFCs don't fully dictate your server's internal design.

Just because some servers might be more monolithic with regards to domain
handling doesn't mean that another server can't come along tomorrow that is
better componentized.

It might be nice to have a powerful, standardized component protocol, but this
is a hard problem, and not really relevant to the edge protocols.  For what
it's worth, Apache modules don't work in Microsoft IIS and the world still
operates.

-Justin