Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu May 18 08:37:34 UTC 2006

On Thu May 18 09:21:40 2006, Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:
> Carlo v. Loesch wrote:
> > Concerning the privacy lists, we could extend the protocol used to
> > define these privacy lists between client and server in a way that
> > the changes are also forwarded to the target server, so the target
> > server knows which exceptions to keep in mind. This also is a much
> > less invasive change than to introduce a verbose new protocol.
>
> You are missing the point here. Sit back, relax and read back Tills
> or
> Michal latest posts. As base principle for privacy and security you
> NEVER
> trust a third party to enforce YOUR own rules.
> > But this is just theory. Jabber has a model that relies on
> outgoing
> > filters, so we will see how we can go about that.
>
> This model was dictated by the above principles amongst other
> things. And it
> has made XMPP better at controlling 'evil' traffic than some other
> protocols. XMPP does NOT naturally outsource its trust to other
> servers.

Absolutely. To put it another way, this proposal is attempting to
move the responsibility for the users' privacy onto foreign domains.
Users no longer have to trust their own server, but the entire
network, to act on their privacy requirements.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"
    - George Bernard Shaw