Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Thu May 18 09:45:29 UTC 2006

| > the proto-jep is reminding you of the problems, rather than doing
| > anything with them. you should have an interest in both solving the
| > problems and solving the scalability issues. for the latter, this
| > proto-jep is unbeatably best so far.

Richard Dobson typeth:
| No your spec certainly isn't "unbeatably best so far" as it does nothing

i said unbeatable when it comes to scalability
SCALABILITY

it's invisible
but it is IMPORTANT

why do you pretend i said anything else but that?
especially if you're even quoting it where everyone can see i didn't
say what you claim i said.

| to the solve or work around the problems to do with privacy lists and
| the rosters being in sync, if anything my suggestion is "unbeatably best
| so far" as it doesn't have any of the problems your spec does, i.e. it

i'd like to work out a way to implement privacy lists in the new scenario
together with jabber experienced designers. pablo suggested something nice,
so if nothing else comes along, we'll gladly use his suggestion.

| works fine with privacy lists in place and doesn't rely on the rosters
| being in sync, and it also has the extra benefit of being far more
| flexible and useful as it can be used for far more than just presence.

also it is no good to leave the roster synchronization problem as it is
and work around it by adding a new protocol on top of it. but we can
use your idea of pre-negotiated lists to keep the rosters healthy!