[Standards-JIG] Jabber external components: going out of style

Pedro Melo melo at co.sapo.pt
Thu May 18 13:56:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

On May 18, 2006, at 5:29 AM, Justin Karneges wrote:

> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 20:22, Jay Carlson wrote:
>>> It just that I liked the old way of building external components
>>> that
>>> could be used on several servers :).
>>
>> If I'm understanding this correctly, it's no longer sufficient to
>> let a
>> contract for an RFC 392x compliant server and then count on licensing
>> best-of-breed components from third parties.  It may not even be
>> possible.
>
> Sure it is.  The RFCs don't fully dictate your server's internal
> design.

Of course not, but some JEPs require access to information inside the
JSM, and for that we don't have standard protocols.

> Just because some servers might be more monolithic with regards to
> domain
> handling doesn't mean that another server can't come along tomorrow
> that is
> better componentized.

Of course it can, but the problem is that there are no standard ways
to access certain information from an external component, like your
roster. And without those standards there is no possibility of
developing a market for external components.

The only market right now, is for vertical integrated servers.

> It might be nice to have a powerful, standardized component
> protocol, but this
> is a hard problem, and not really relevant to the edge protocols.
> For what
> it's worth, Apache modules don't work in Microsoft IIS and the
> world still
> operates.

Yeah, but if I like a specific apache module, and I use IIS and I'm
happy with it, wouldn't it be nice if I could just do it? In the XMPP
world it was supposed to work that way. Thats what JEP-0114 was meant
to be, right?

Only what happened is that in the last months, the natural evolution
(and bare in mind that I do think the evolution was a good one) of
the more important JEPs left the idea of implementing them as
external components behind.

Personally, I don't classify this as a problem for now. Just a
concern. Right now I feel being locked in into some server
implementation. 1 year ago, it was more open.

Best regards,
--
HIId: Pedro Melo
SMTP: melo at co.sapo.pt