Tobias Josefowitz t.josefowitz at gmail.com
Thu May 18 17:32:33 UTC 2006

On 5/18/06, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> Yes. But there's a distinct difference in level between trusting a
> remote server not to redirect or copy the presence information, and
> trusting a remote server to make the decision of who to send presence
> information to. It's not the data moving that I care about, it's the
> decision being moved.

I wouldn't say the decision is moved. The protojep makes the
assumption that people can only have you in their roster if you want
them to (attacks etc. excluded). I'm not that familiar with XMPP
details, but if, as suggested, a client may all the time add people to
the roster even if those people do not even remotely want to be added
to that roster, then it is obvious (while not formulated) that the
suggested JEP needs that feature, well, disabled.

So lets just assume you control who may add you to his roster on a
legitimately acting server. Then obviously you decide what rosters you
are on (well, not really, but at least you need to ACK), and as the
protojep defines that your presence goes to everyone on a server who
has you on his roster, it obviously is your decision where the
presence stanza should be sent to. You just don't state that
information in every single stanza.
(Additionally, you can't force someone to receive your presence
stanzas that way. If he doesn't add you to his roster, he won't be
bothered by your presence. And I think this might be the kind of power
you'd be happy to give up.)