[Standards-JIG] Public Federated Jabber Network

Paul Johnson baloo at ursine.ca
Thu May 18 20:54:40 UTC 2006

On Thursday 18 May 2006 13:40, Chris Mullins wrote:
> Now, one could make a case that due to their lack of enforcement on the
> word 'Jabber' it has become a de-facto public domain term, but that delves
> into legal terratory that's probably best left unexplored.

It's not unexplored.  Proctor and Gamble lost a trademark on the
word "Kleenex" by allowing uptake.  I see Jabber at a critical juncture in
this right now:  It wouldn't be that hard to overrun the trademark by calling
it Jabber given that's what everybody's been calling it for years.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and IM (XMPP & Google Talk): baloo at ursine.ca
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber