[Standards-JIG] Public Federated Jabber Network

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu May 18 23:49:14 UTC 2006

[My last post on this to standards-jig, I promise.]

Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr wrote:

> What exactly is the relationship between Jabber Inc.
> and the JSF anyway?

All trolling aside, this is the crux of my frustration. I answer this question, and the ones that naturally follow from it, constantly. I know many other people involved in this industry do the same thing.

The confusion over the term Jabber is real, and is very signifigant. As it sits, there is no progress at all being made to clear up this confusion - in fact, quite the opposite: There is an ongoing campaign, intentional or not, to futher the confusion. See, for example, the desire to have a term involving the word "Jabber" used in the same way the (trademark unencumbered ) PSTN acronym is thrown around. This furthers the confusion, rather than helping it.

To the best of my recollection, all efforts to clear up the confustion in a real way have not gone very far. There are a number of reasons for this, which range from the good to the downright paranoid (and everyone can draw their own conclusions as to where I fall in that spectrum).

At the end of the day, the confusion regarding Jabber does have a real and tangable benefit for a single entity, and we all know it.

When Bob gets sick of running the open-source "jabberd" (or ejabberd, etc) he's naturally going to go to "jabber.com" and go fishing for a commercial solution. This is what I would do, were I uneducated in this space. This is a real and ongoing effect that will continue to damage the commercial XMPP ecosystem.

--
Chris Mullins