[Standards-JIG] Public Federated Jabber Network

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri May 19 08:46:34 UTC 2006

On Fri May 19 01:07:57 2006, Trejkaz wrote:

> On 19/05/2006, at 04:13 AM, Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. wrote:
>> In a blog post I'll be making tomorrow, I'll be coining the phrase
>>  "Public Federated Jabber Network", or PFJN, to refer to the
>> network  of federated jabber servers on the internet.
>
> I don't mind the name, but the abbreviation is too hard to say.
> "PSTN" sort of rolls together, but the J makes PFJN take about
> twice  as long to say as PSTN.

I see what you mean. It's the way the mouth has to move more between
F and J than between S and T - I don't know of any English words, at
least, that have that combination of sounds. Many languages have no J
sound at all, even if they have the letter. (English pronounces J as
a D sound rolling into a voiced SH. Most languages only have the
voiced SH.)

What about Public XMPP Infrastructure, or PXI? Admittedly it's a
little close to PXE, but it's sufficiently distinct in area to avoid
any confusion.

Dave.
--
           You see things; and you say "Why?"