[Standards-JIG] Stanza Acking and Connection Pings

Pavel Šimerda pavel.simerda.lists at centrum.cz
Fri May 19 19:18:01 UTC 2006

On 2006-05-19 17:54, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 19 May 2006, at 13:21, Pavel Šimerda wrote:
> > Alright, what's going on now? Could we re-join forces split between
> > Justin's
> > and Dave's proposals? And have something finished?
>
> I'm currently sitting in the jep-ack camp but appreciate that Dave's
> proposal also covers /not/ retransmitting un-acked but received
> packets upon reconnection in some circumstances. This could probably
> be merged into jep-ack reasonably easily and then you'd have a
> proposal with the best parts of both I think (and I'd be happy).
>
> /K

I believe it could be... it needs the server and client only to count the
sent/recieved stanzas... and to remember the number until the reconnect
occurs.

Server remembers this number (along with resource name to avoid confusion
between clients). Client remember this number (probably only runtime with no
storage needed - or temporarily stored). And it also remembers the un-acked
stanzas.

Client MAY ask the server for the last connection stanza count (it needs it
only if there really were some un-acked stanzas). Substracts it from it's own
last connection stanza count. And the resulting number is the number of
undelivered stanzas (N). Now the client know that last N stanzas were
undelivered.

The question is, which stanzas should be re-send and which should not. Can you
re-send a presence stanza in a new connection? What about iq queries and