[Standards-JIG] Public Federated Jabber Network

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri May 19 22:34:33 UTC 2006

On Fri May 19 19:10:32 2006, Hal Rottenberg wrote:
> P.S. I hope you all know that the usage of the word "Jabber" will
> never die.  All the ranting in the world won't change that.

Oh, I'm not intending to rant, and I hope it doesn't die, that's
certainly not the intention. I don't begrudge anyone from forming a
company out of their design, and calling the company after that
design. I've no problem with Jabber being the profile of XMPP in
common usage, even, this is all fine.

At the moment, however, I'm acutely aware that there's several people
with "Google Talk:" in their sig, indicating a non-Google XMPP
account, though, and that makes me more sympathetic to carefully
making a neutral name. Diversity is always a good thing, and neutral
names are important for that.

But mostly it's so I can makes jokes about talking with the Pixies.

Dave.
Dave Cridland 		- mailto:dave at cridland.net xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
     				- acap://acap.dave.cridland.net/byowner/user/dwd/
				- http://dave.cridland.net/
Infotrope Polymer 	- ACAP, IMAP, ESMTP, and Lemonade (with ice and
slice).