[Standards-JIG] Allowed tricks with namespaces

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.eu
Sun May 21 15:39:36 UTC 2006

Hi Michal!

Michal vorner Vaner wrote:
> But, is it allowed to move the namespace to some higher levels and use
> prefixes (if I understand them right):
>
> <message sm:xmlns='something'><sm:something/></message>
>
> And, does this have any limitations?

Yes, this is allowed (if you include a to attribute to your stanza). But
you _might_ get into problems with some older (non-RFC3920-conformant)
servers. But at least with current version of jabberd14, jabberd2,
ejabberd (and others) you should not have problems with it.
> And, if it is possible, what is server supposed to do, when some clients
> defines such a prefix in the stream element and the message should be
> routed to other client, which does not have such prefix defined? It
> should probably rewrite somehow to message, otherwise the other client
> would not have the namespace. Should it move the prefix definition into
> the stanza or strip the prefixes and include the namespace inline?

Probably the server will just send the message with the same prefix
declaration. It's the server that declares the prefixes on the stream
from the server to the client:

<message sm:xmlns='something' to='user at a.example.com'
from='user at b.example.com'><sm:something/></message>

Tot kijk