[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060 Publisher Model - node hirarchy permissions

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Wed May 24 13:04:37 UTC 2006

On Wed, May 24, 2006 at 12:40:02PM +0200, bernhard wrote:
> I have some questions about jep-0060 publisher model:
>
> 1.) Is there a possibility to grant node creation to publishers?

Being a publisher is an affiliation to existing nodes. Whether an entity
may create nodes at a publish-subscribe service is left to the
implementation of the service. Usually services allow for anyone to
create nodes. We have not defined protocol for managing this
explicitely, although JEP-0133 might a good candidate for doing that.

> 2.) A collection is similar to a directory in file system - do we need that?

We have explicitely not defined how node hierarchies are set up.
Directories in file systems in general assume a tree like structure. We
assume a directed multigraph without cycles with the addition of a
virtual root node that comprises all (leaf and collection) nodes at a
service.

> 3.) Is it possible to grant write access to all nodes of a collection?

An implementation may choose to grand super powers to entities. Such
additional access control is left out of scope for JEP-0060.

> 4.) If it is possible for a publisher (not owner) to create a new node -
> who is the owner of the new node?

See 1. The creator is always granted the 'owner' affiliation to a node.  Note
that multiple entities can have this affiliation and that this
affiliation can be shed or removed by another affiliation.

> 5.) If it is not possible for for a publisher to create new nodes -
> isn't that a limitation that should not be?

Obviously N/A, see 1.

--
Groetjes,

ralphm