Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Wed May 24 18:26:17 UTC 2006

>> Something to note is this would not be negotiated using stream
>> features, this would be negotiated using disco.
>
> I dont see how this could be useful for anything but a direct
> connection, hence the suggestion to use stream:features, where
> negotiation takes place before the connection is established.
>
>> Also, with your protocol how does the sending server know if the list
>> is populated yet and how does it know who is already in the list? It
>> seems to me that this can easily get out of sync with neither side
>> having any way of knowing if it is or not, this is something that
>> needs to be resolved,
> The worst case for this is rebuilding this list with EACH tcp connection
> and it is valid no longer than the lifetime of that (e.g. you send
> a presence broadcast first and after that you only send smarticasts).

I see... you want to start this new for every connection, yes it could
work that way the way you propose it, it does mean that you are only
likely to get savings where there are lots of contacts between two
servers that have enough traffic travelling between them to keep the s2s
connections active for long periods, if they keep regualarly dropping,
because of various things like lack of activity for a certain period,
you loose the benefit of this, this is a start but IMO it would be
better if we are going to standardise a mechanism for this that it works
across different connections.

Richard