[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060 Publisher Model - nodehirarchy permissions

bernhard bz at datenkueche.com
Thu May 25 21:16:13 UTC 2006

Bob Wyman wrote:
> Bernhard wrote:
>
>> ejabberd builds a hierarchy based on the id - this is not specified in
>> jep-0060.
>>
> 	If ejabberd "builds a hierarchy based on the id" then that is
> completely *OUTSIDE* JEP-0060. It is a bug. Node IDs in JEP-0060 are opaque
> and no client or server should ever treat them otherwise.

11.5 Handling Node Hierarchies

NodeIDs MAY have semantic value in implementations of pubsub. If an
implementation wishes node IDs to have hierarchical meaning (as is shown
in the examples), that implementation MAY choose any naming scheme which
is suitable to the hierarchy in question. Identifiers could use slashes,
periods, or other special characters as the hierarchy separator.

---

As I remember there is written:

collections contains nodes (but no items)
nodes contains nodes and items

Some people tell that jep-0060 says nothing about hierarchy - but that's
not true.
But there is not written how to configure a node to be a child node of a
node or a collection.

If there is a usecase how to make the hierarchy, everything is clear -
otherwise the programmer have to guess.

> 	My personal and very strongly held opinion is that if ejabberd is
> actually doing what you say it is doing, this should be flagged as a bug and
> the bug should be fixed as soon as possible. It is exceptionally difficult
> to maintain standards if implementers insist on diverging from the standard.
> Given the prominence of ejabberd, it is likely that people will come to
> perceive this bug to be normal behavior and thus attempt to get others to
> implement the same bug. This is not a good thing.

that's true
> 	Hierarchy in JEP-0060 collections should be established using the
> mechanisms provided in JEP-0060 and those same mechanisms should be used to
> discover the hierarchy.
Maybe it's hidden - I can't find that.

Bernhard