Mridul mridul at sun.com
Tue May 30 05:00:06 UTC 2006

Hi,

  Sorry to jump in so late.
I did not see much fuss being created about this - so thought I will
raise it.

The implicit creation of a list could go out of sync very fast , does
not take care of updates to privacy profiles and looks very 'hackish' imo.
Why not make it explicit ?
The initiating server can request for a list creation with a set of bare
jid's and then use that as 'to' in subsequent presence stanza's -
similar in ways to muc I guess.
Either we can expose ways to add/delete jid's to this list , or just
recreate a new list depending on what gets decided here.
If the receiving server sends an error about list unavailability ,
initiating server can recreate the list again.
If some of these lists are constant/static , these lists could be reused
for different users as an optimization - need not be specific to a user.
(Like an admin group , etc) - just a thought , we need not get into this :-)

Just to add , if this gets supported , it will need to be a stream
feature I think ... not specific to a user/group/etc.
We could extend this to other 'needs' also.
Maybe I am missing the whole point or this has already been discussed ,
so feel free to flame me :-)

Regards,
Mridul

Carlo v. Loesch wrote:

>In an effort to produce a proposal that will satisfy the requirements of
>everyone on standards-jig, Philipp came up with a different strategy on
>how to distribute presence without handing out control to remote servers,
>without relying on remote rosters and without defeating privacy lists.
>

>The new proto-JEP has been updated on
>	http://www.jabber.org/jeps/inbox/smartpresence.html
>and
>	http://smarticast.psyced.org/jep-smart-presence.html
>
>For the convenience of citing the proto-JEP directly in an e-mail
>discussion I have included a text rendering of it below.

<snip>