Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue May 30 09:12:21 UTC 2006

Mridul wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Sorry to jump in so late.
> I did not see much fuss being created about this - so thought I will
> raise it.
>
> The implicit creation of a list could go out of sync very fast , does
> not take care of updates to privacy profiles and looks very 'hackish' imo.
> Why not make it explicit ?
> The initiating server can request for a list creation with a set of bare
> jid's and then use that as 'to' in subsequent presence stanza's -
> similar in ways to muc I guess.

This was my original suggestion, but they seem to be very against it for
some reason, they have still yet to really explain why.
> Either we can expose ways to add/delete jid's to this list , or just
> recreate a new list depending on what gets decided here.
> If the receiving server sends an error about list unavailability ,
> initiating server can recreate the list again.
> If some of these lists are constant/static , these lists could be reused
> for different users as an optimization - need not be specific to a user.
> (Like an admin group , etc) - just a thought , we need not get into this :-)

Yes exactly.
> Just to add , if this gets supported , it will need to be a stream
> feature I think ... not specific to a user/group/etc.

It would be a disco feature, rather than a stream feature.
> We could extend this to other 'needs' also.
> Maybe I am missing the whole point or this has already been discussed ,
> so feel free to flame me :-)

don't worry, yes ive already suggested this, even though they seem to be
ignoring it, more fuel on the fire, good to hear minds are thinking alike :)

Richard