Mridul mridul at sun.com
Tue May 30 09:59:31 UTC 2006

Hi Richard,

  Catching up on my mails ... Good to know that what I was thinking was
not smoke !
The proto-JEP authors seem to be alluding to some more JEP's to come ,
maybe this change we discussed does not fit into the 'vision' for the
"JEP set" :-)

One Q though , can you please clarify why it would need to be a disco
and not a stream feature ?
Maybe the question not specific to this proto-JEP as such , but in
general...
My impression was that if it is something we are expecting to be
supported for all session/stanzas/nodes/etc - that is effecting
potentially anything/everything on the stream , it would ideally become
a stream feature.
Something that the server supports for the stream - not specific to a
user request.
If it becomes specific to a subset of usecases - like specific to users
, etc , it might make sense to use disco - since this would be different
for different users.

In this specific case which you proposed , it would be something that
the server advertises for the stream - I support 'smart presence list'
or whatever we call it ... and if negotiated , can be relied upon for
all users.
(Existence of a list is different from support for lists's).
This way , server's will not need to disco each time whether the other
side supports this 'smart presence list' or not ..

Ofcourse , I could be drastically wrong in my assumptions !

Thanks ,
Mridul