[Standards-JIG] jep-0060 $home

bernhard bz at datenkueche.com
Tue May 30 10:52:33 UTC 2006

Hi all

In ejabberd it is possible for the user
xy at server.net
to create the node "home/server.net/xy" - and only for this user.

Using ejabberd it is possible to write a jabber client that stores ALL
configuration files to "home/server.net/xy/programName/config"

If the program knows the jid it is possible to write and read from this
node without
having more information. There is no need for a "local" config file.

It is possible to get the node id from jid.

But!
The way ejabberd is doing that is a bug.
If it is not possible to calculate the node id from jid, it is not
possible to store config
files in pubsub.

Bernhard
PS: pubsub is the coolest thing I have seen since 1993 - when I have
seen the first webbrowser.