[Standards-JIG] JEP-0060 PubSub: ModifyingNode/Collection Associations and other issues.

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Wed May 31 05:58:54 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> What if we say that a NodeID MAY have semantic meaning but
> MUST NOT encapsulate hierarchy?
	The kind of "semantics" which most known to be problematic relates
to hierarchy -- i.e. the duplicates or potentially conflicts with other
mechanism provided by JEP-0060. Thus, I would be much happier if at least
hierarchy-related semantics were banned from NodeIDs.
	However, I'm a bit uncomfortable about other kinds of semantics.
Could someone help me here by providing examples of non-hierarchical
semantics that would be encoded into NodeIDs?

> But doesn't "tag:wyman.us,2005:blog" itself have semantic meaning?
	I believe that a tagURI only *appears* to have semantics. That
apparent semantics is simply an artifact of the tag minting procedure.
RFC4151 clearly states that tagURI's "can only be used as identifiers". The
RFC defines no case in which a consumer of tagURIs should treat them as
anything but "simply strings of characters".

	bob wyman