[Standards-JIG] Closing idle streams

Carlo v. Loesch CvL at mail.symlynX.com
Wed May 31 08:26:55 UTC 2006

What is the popular or correct way to close an idle connection?

I noticed some jabberds will send a <connection-timeout/> error,
then immediately close the socket.

This seems to be in accordance with the XMPP spec.

I also noticed some jabberds that would simply shutdown the
socket without warning.

This doesn't seem to be in accordance with XMPP.

One way or the other, closing a TCP socket - instead of asking the other
side to terminate it - raises the chances of data loss, so it is a not so
good idea really. Am I missing something?

I also noticed XMPP isn't very precise on what is to be done
under this circumstance.

Has this been discussed before? I looked at the TCP reliability
discussion, but that doesn't apply to this issue.

	    xmpp:lynX at ve.symlynX.com » irc://ve.symlynX.com/#symlynX
        CryptoChat » https://ve.symlynX.com:34443/LynX/?room=symlynX