[Standards-JIG] Re: [jdev] XMPP Ping method?

Mridul Mridul.Muralidharan at Sun.COM
Thu Nov 2 12:49:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

  If the intention is to keep the connection alive , whitespace pings
are great.
Is the intention is to detect if the connection is alive - whitespace
pings suffice to some extent.
Where they fail is the fact that you are relying on tcp timeouts
configured on the server box (which will be in order of 10's of mins).

Alternatively , we could mandate that if server sends a ping , client
MUST respond within some window of time : the timeout could be negotiated.
Failing to respond will be treated as connection loss and stream will be
closed.
If something of this sort is _not_ present , then whitespace will
continue to suffice instead of more complex alternatives.

We have always been sending whitespace pings to clients and other servers.
Similarly , if the client is connected through a proxy or other
intermediary which could drop connection through inactivity - the client
would send pings to the server (at configurable timeouts) too.

For reliable delivery - you could always look at end to end acknowledgment.

Regards,
Mridul