[Standards-JIG] Re: [jdev] XMPP Ping method?

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Thu Nov 2 13:06:47 UTC 2006

On 2 Nov 2006, at 12:49, Mridul wrote:
> For reliable delivery - you could always look at end to end
> acknowledgment.

I've said before, and I think it needs to be said again: e2e
acknowledgement provides accountability, not reliability. Reliability
just means you know that the message will be delivered. Telling the
remote entity when you receive a message opens huge issues for non-
subscribed users - either you get presence leaks large enough to
drain the atlantic, or you lose reliability. I'm completely convinced
that per-hop is the way to go.

/K

--
Kevin Smith