[Standards-JIG] Re: [jdev] XMPP Ping method?

Chris Mullins chris.mullins at coversant.net
Thu Nov 2 17:40:15 UTC 2006

Kevin Smith Wrote:

> [IQ:Ping]

> This is sufficient for many things, but the thing it
> doesn't do is the thing I'm most keen on achieving:
> reliable delivery.

Reliable Delivery is a different problem altogether. I would love to see
an answer to that, but would also love to see an IQ:Ping stanza. I'm
sick of using Time/Verion for this.

> I want to send a message and know that it'll
> either be delivered, or I'll get an error.

Ah-ha! So you want a transactional message with a 2-phase commit? :)
This would even work for MUC rooms, although the overhead may be a bit
of a steep price to pay.

> Is it worth a whole spec just for ping?

Yes, I think it is. Adding it into the RFC would be ideal for me, but a
simple standards-track XEP would be a close 2nd.

--
Chris Mullins