[Standards-JIG] MUC Invitations, Jingle Relays, and Big Problems

Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 10:13:00 UTC 2006

On 3 Nov 2006, at 00:48, Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. wrote:
> I don't see this problem getting better—it is going to get worse.
> Filtering communications from unknown JID's is a perfectly
> reasonable thing to do, and I think that we should start making our
> protocols aware of this situation and stop punishing users for it.
>
> Any ideas on how to handle this?

Frankly, I think we should strongly encourage servers to not do this.
As you note, many use cases involve unknown contacts, and I can only
see the use cases increasing rather than decreasing. I can only
admire server admins which take a proactive approach to preventing
unwanted messaging, but this seems to be a sub-optimal way to do it.
Imagine if GMail only allowed you to receive mails from people in
your address book, you'd never get notifications for  many things
such as online purchases. As there are an increasing number of
protocols which mandatory blocking renders impotent (0070 is another
that springs to mind), we need to find another approach (I do
appreciate that waiting for a user to be spammed before starting
blocking is also sub-optimal).

/K

--
Kevin Smith