[Standards-JIG] xmpp.org Namespaces

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Nov 3 20:05:53 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Dave Cridland wrote:
>>> Yes, although webhosting agreements, and even domain name assignments,
>>> are not persistent, so it's not a perfect solution, whereas URN
>>> assignments are, I believe, persistent and also free. Not that I'm
>>> suggesting that everyone rushes out and gets a URN for their very own -
>>> but it makes some sense to consider having the JSF get one for XMPP
>>> namespaces, and assign from within it.
>> Agreed. Not super high on my priority list, but I'll look at it more
>> next week.
>
> I wrote up an I-D for this while traveling recently:
>
> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-xmpp-urn-00.txt
> http://www.xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-xmpp-urn-00.html
>
> I'll send the template to the URN-NID list soon.

Done:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/urn-nid/current/msg00487.html

No objections have been raised yet. There is a two-week comment period
on the URN-NID list. My understanding is that we probably can begin
using these URNs after the comment period has ended.

The more I think about, the more I want to use these URNs as soon as
possible. At the next XMPP Council meeting (Monday, November 6) I will
raise this issue. I would suggest that we not advance any further XMPP
protocol extensions to Draft until we can use URNs for our namespace
names. If we do that, the specs affected would be the Jingle specs as
well as:

XEP-0136: Message Archiving
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0136.html

XEP-0191: Simple Communications Blocking
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0191.html

However, that would require changing the XML namespaces when we advance
those specs from Experimental to Draft (or before), as follows:

from... http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle
to... urn:xmpp:jingle

from... http://jabber.org/protocol/jingle#errors
to... urn:xmpp:jingle:errors