[Standards-JIG] Yahoo-style <ding> / BUZZ

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Nov 3 22:56:05 UTC 2006

JD Conley wrote:
>> The steps taken to get the attention of the other party should be up
>> to the other party's client, of course.
>
> Of course. I like the ChatState extension idea.
>
> You send the <attention/> and once attention has been attained the
> recipient sends back <active/>.

Currently, chat state notifications are notifications about *my* state
(yes, I'm active, composing, gone, etc.). This buzz/ding is a request
for you to be active, so it's a bit of a different idea. Even though I
like the idea of using chat state notifications for this, it doesn't
feel like it quite fits in.

Jabber Software Foundation