[Standards-JIG] Re: xmpp.org Namespaces

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Nov 3 23:06:44 UTC 2006

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Remko Troncon wrote:
>>> I don't really have a problem doing that. They're experimental. The
>>> projects in this state are all active, and moving to the new namespaces
>>> should be a snap.
>> +1
>> What is the point of having experimental XEPs if you can't change them
>> because of existing experimental implementations.
>> And also +1 on the URI change proposals.
>
> Well, that raises a broader issue: should Experimental specs use
> experimental namespaces and then be "upgraded" once they move to Draft?
>
> Experimental: http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0116.html

Er, I meant 0166. :-)

> Draft: urn:xmpp:jingle
>
> Probably not, too confusing. But it would clearly differentiate which
> protocols are experimental and which are approved.

BTW, this is what they did in the Atom WG.

The Internet-Drafts specified namespaces like this:

   xmlns="http://purl.org/atom/ns#draft-ietf-atompub-format-04"

Whereas the published RFC has:

   xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"

This approach does not seem to have caused any problems (and Atom is
deployed very widely).

Jabber Software Foundation