[Standards-JIG] Re: xmpp.org Namespaces

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Sat Nov 4 14:29:13 UTC 2006

> Well, that raises a broader issue: should Experimental specs use
> experimental namespaces and then be "upgraded" once they move to Draft?
>
> Experimental: http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0116.html
>
> Draft: urn:xmpp:jingle
>
> Probably not, too confusing. But it would clearly differentiate which
> protocols are experimental and which are approved.

I think its a very good idea, among other things it helps ensure that
implementations advertising the draft namespace actually conform to the
draft rather than a previous experimental version of the spec, and helps
force implementors to implement the draft/final spec rather than just
leave any non conforming experimental versions lingering.

Richard