[Standards-JIG] MUC Invitations, Jingle Relays, and Big Problems

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Sun Nov 5 00:48:12 UTC 2006

I agree with Kevin, Zenek and Daniel. There are much more user-friendly
ways to combat SPIM.

However, I'd be interested to hear the opinions of any application or
service implementors who chose that approach. Does anyone see any issues
with the anti-SPIM XEPs (0161, 0158 and 0159)? Do we need some more XEPs
that take different approaches?

- Ian

Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 3 Nov 2006, at 00:48, Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. wrote:
>> I don't see this problem getting better—it is going to get worse.
>> Filtering communications from unknown JID's is a perfectly reasonable
>> thing to do, and I think that we should start making our protocols
>> aware of this situation and stop punishing users for it.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to handle this?
>
> Frankly, I think we should strongly encourage servers to not do this.
> As you note, many use cases involve unknown contacts, and I can only
> see the use cases increasing rather than decreasing.

+1

Zenek wrote:
>> My biggest problem is that google talk makes this mandatory.
>>

> In my opinion as an user, it is not reasonable at all... There are many people
> who don't want to add more contacts to rosters just for one-time chat...

+1