[Standards-JIG] rfc3920bis: Stanza Acknowledgements

Bruce Fitzsimons bruce at fitzsimons.org
Mon Nov 6 21:59:19 UTC 2006

Michal 'vorner' Vaner wrote:
> IMHO, this should be configurable. I agree it is plenty of time for most
> people. However, I would set it to some 3 minutes for myself. It happens
> sometime I have a short (~1 minute) internet break. Now, I just get all
> the messages after the internet starts again. This way, I would need to
> reconnect and everyone would see I disconnected.

Hmm. This hits the social aspect again -- you said I could see your
presence information. So if you do go away and come back (in the network
sense) then shouldn't I see this? This does accurately reflect your
presence as far as technology allows. I think you're putting this social
issue on top of a hop-by-hop reliability mechanism which clouds matters
so can we deal with this separately? This is a legacy of having long
(default) TCP timers which gave you this (implicit) behaviour.

I'm about to reply properly to Justin about the related issue of rolling
up acks and other things. Shorter emails are so much easier to reply to :-)

Regards,
Bruce