[Standards-JIG] XEP-0136 Thoughts and Musings

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Mon Nov 6 23:07:28 UTC 2006

Le lundi 6 novembre 2006 23:35, Chris Mullins a écrit :
> JLS Wrote:
> [Storing the whole message]
>
> > Do we really want to see proprietary
> > extensions flourish to compensate
> > easily corrected shortcomings?
>
> I'm not sure if this would comply even if we did store everything.
>
> I know in the customer cases we often see (and I assume other commercial
> entities see), logging messages isn't enough. We need to log...
> everything. This mechanism doesn't log IQ or Presence packets, so I keep
> thinking that a compliance mechanism on the back end will still be
> needed.
>
> I completely agree that all of the various types of bodies, as well as
> the languages, need to be stored. Logging only "<body/>" elements is not
> at all sufficient.

See also
http://soc.hbar.us/XMLLogFormat-0.4-02.html
This format let's store almost everything, and allow extentions.
Maybe we should use something compatible.
I've already been in contact with the guys behind this, they seems very open.

However, this still doesn't store the whole <message/> stanza.

But let's not mix storage format, and protocol to download logs. (even if they
are related)