[Standards-JIG] rfc3920bis: Stanza Acknowledgements

Bruce Fitzsimons bruce at fitzsimons.org
Tue Nov 7 00:24:06 UTC 2006

Dave Cridland wrote:

> Assuming TCP simply recovers for him, is Michal offline, or is he
> online with a high latency?
This is the crux of the matter. We're discussing it in the other thread,
restated: Who determines if you are off-line - the server or the client?
If the client, how can the server know the difference between transient
and permanent disconnection?

> I'd have thought the latter. Reconnection shouldn't really impact him
> functionally, since he'll be online before anyone notices, and he
> won't have lost any messages.

"Before anybody notices"...in your application presence notifications
should be delayed to account for this. In others accurate presence is
important for resource to do  resource switching.

Shall we continue in the other thread?

Cheers,
Bruce