[Standards-JIG] RE: Standards-JIG] MUC Invitations, Jingle Relays, and Big Problems

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue Nov 7 07:58:43 UTC 2006

Peter, this is interesting. I am not certain it will answer all cases
though.

The original reason for which Robert (Darco) bought up the subject was
initially related to GTalk filtering out traffic not originating from one of
your buddies (he called it "paranoid" filtering ;)
He also pointed out that more and more features in XMPP are now
"intermediated", for example MUC invites are sent to a user by the room, and
PubSub also has case where notifications come from the service.

So his question was wider than just 1-to-1 user's conversation in an instant
messaging application. You'll certainly agree that a user cannot have
unknown MUC rooms in its roster, nor all topics of a PubSub application...

In the end it brings several questions:
- How should we approach this issue for non IM applications?
- If we use it for IM, isn't it going to conflict with other XEPs, such as
XEP-0155?
- How would we deal with "intermediated" features such as MUC, PubSub and
most probably Jingle.

What do you think?

Jean-Louis