[Standards-JIG] XEP-0136 Thoughts and Musings

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Tue Nov 7 08:18:12 UTC 2006

Chris, I agree on all counts with you on compliance. I just needed an
example to hammer out the idea that <body/> was not enough ;)

Peter also made a good point with non IM applications.

But more generally, XEP-0136 exhibits a very common pattern for an XMPP
extension: it combines management protocol (storing, retrieving, deleting,
etc...) and target content. It may be opportune to draw XEPs authors
attention to separate the two aspects in their proposals. I do not have a
precise application example in mind except what you said about compliance
needing IQ and presence logging, and when you think of it, the management
protocol of XEP-0136 could also apply to them. It is somewhat independent of
the content, isn't it?

That said, we are left to decide how we would include the complete message
content in the appropriate wrappers inside XEP-0136 stanzas. Do we leave it
unchanged; do we encode it or zip it?

Jean-Louis