[Standards-JIG] XEP-0136 Thoughts and Musings

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Nov 7 20:01:11 UTC 2006

Olivier Goffart wrote:
> Le lundi 6 novembre 2006 20:10, Chris Mullins a écrit :
>> Section 5.2 forbids logging Message Thread Identifiers. It seems like
>> these would be very natural ways of grouping messages, and tagging with
>> metadata. Many clients use these today. Why are they forbidden?
>
> In my opinion (that i have already expressed before),  the whole <message/>
> stanza should be stored.

Well, now that I think about it some more, this spec is mostly trying to
describe how to do on the server what IM clients already do locally.
Very few human users care about archiving complete messages with all
extensions. They *might* be interested in XHTML-IM content, but mainly
they are interested in the message body.

That said, if you like the "lifestreams" concept [1] then archiving
everything you receive might be interesting. That would include even
presence changes (why not?). I don't think many people care about that,
but it might be good for the spec to at least not disallow a server from
storing the parts of your lifestream that flow over XMPP.

/psa

[1] http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/freeman/lifestreams.html