[Standards-JIG] XEP-0038 as Common Emoticon Theme Format

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Nov 8 05:12:48 UTC 2006

As I mentioned in another thread, I've been discussing the idea of
creating a common emoticon theme that could be shared between Gaim,
Kopete, and other applications.

On kopete-devel, Olivier Goffart brought up XEP-0038. It looks like a
really good existing specification for this. Here are some issues that
we have:

1. I don't like the idea of extending xml:lang to specify a non-Jabber
IM protocol. I'd like to see a protocol attribute added.

2. I'd like an optional <description> element added to the <icon>
element. This would contain a description of the emoticon that could be
displayed to the user, e.g. in a tooltip. Multiple <description>
elements could be added, differentiated by xml:lang attributes. The
application could then pick the best match.

3. It was mentioned that JISP is a very Jabber specific name.

4. As this standard would be suitable for e-mail clients as well (i.e.
KMail, and possibly Evolution), it was suggested that this standard
should be moved to freedesktop.org, and a JEP could cover any
Jabber-specific implementation details.

There may be some more minor issues, but these are the only major things
that have come up so far. I'd love to hear this group's thoughts.

Richard