[Standards-JIG] XEP-0038 as Common Emoticon Theme Format

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Nov 8 22:12:58 UTC 2006

Richard Laager wrote:
> As I mentioned in another thread, I've been discussing the idea of
> creating a common emoticon theme that could be shared between Gaim,
> Kopete, and other applications.
>
> On kopete-devel, Olivier Goffart brought up XEP-0038. It looks like a
> really good existing specification for this.

In fact XEP-0038 is unmaintained (the author pretty much disappeared)
but a new author could take it over.

> Here are some issues that
> we have:
>
> 1. I don't like the idea of extending xml:lang to specify a non-Jabber
> IM protocol.

I don't know exactly what the author intended with that comment.

> I'd like to see a protocol attribute added.

Yeah, that seems like a bad idea. +1 to a new attribute.

> 2. I'd like an optional <description> element added to the <icon>
> element. This would contain a description of the emoticon that could be
> displayed to the user, e.g. in a tooltip. Multiple <description>
> elements could be added, differentiated by xml:lang attributes. The
> application could then pick the best match.

+1

> 3. It was mentioned that JISP is a very Jabber specific name.

It could be changed.

> 4. As this standard would be suitable for e-mail clients as well (i.e.
> KMail, and possibly Evolution), it was suggested that this standard
> should be moved to freedesktop.org, and a JEP could cover any
> Jabber-specific implementation details.

Is freedesktop.org a standards development organization with a defined
standards process? I see no problem in continuing to develop XEP-0038
within the JSF. After all we have things like XEP-0071 and they are not
really Jabber-specific.

> There may be some more minor issues, but these are the only major things
> that have come up so far. I'd love to hear this group's thoughts.

Let's continue the conversation. :-)

Jabber Software Foundation