[Standards-JIG] XEP-0136 Thoughts and Musings

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 02:18:32 UTC 2006

Jean-Louis Seguineau wrote:
> I am still convinced Atom provides everything we need to log/archive all
> XMPP stanzas (iq, message, presence) exchange ;)
>
> We may look at embedding Atom inside the collections management framework
> instead of creating an entirely new format. Using Atom would also have the
> added advantage to allow direct compatibility of the produced logs with feed
> readers. This way logs/archives may be exposed directly in web servers.
>
> And it's an RFC. What more do we want for widespread support and
> compatibility...

I agree we should reuse other protocols where there is synergy. But I'm
not sure I understand the synergy between a publishing protocol like
Atom and a personal archiving protocol like XEP-0136. Most likely very
few people will be interested in publishing their private chats on Web
servers.

Atom is also far more verbose than we need. Mobile clients that are
limited by their runtime environments to XML-only communication (no
stream compression) would find it relatively impractical to browse the
content of even "body" collections.

- Ian