[Standards-JIG] XEP-0136 Thoughts and Musings

Ian Paterson ian.paterson at clientside.co.uk
Thu Nov 9 11:56:23 UTC 2006

Robert B Quattlebaum, Jr. wrote:
> As long as the logging system can handle these cases and ensure that
> messages with the same thread are somehow grouped together, even when
> there is more than one thread between two JID's concurrently, then I
> don't really care if the specific value of the <thread> element is
> maintained.

Yes, the intention is that, even when archiving implementations do not
log the thread identifiers, they will use them (when available) to
decide which messages belong together in each collection.

> HOWEVER... Tossing out the <thread> element will allow for a covert
> communication channel between JID's that will never be logged

Yes, when the 'save' preference attribute is set to "stream" then all
bytes will be logged, including the thread elements, and even the
whitespace between elements. (The presence or not of whitespace is a
binary bit of information, which provides another possibility for
opening a covert channel.)

- Ian