[Standards-JIG] XEP-0136 Thoughts and Musings

Jean-Louis Seguineau jean-louis.seguineau at laposte.net
Thu Nov 9 12:43:01 UTC 2006

Ian, I perfectly understand your concerns when it comes to mobile users, and
I agree that we should keep it in mind whenever we design the protocol.
Nevertheless, leaving the protocol verbosity aside, I am not certain the
said users will find it practical to browse message history on their mobile
device anyway. Triggering the recoding of a collection is certainly
appropriate; I have more doubts about reviewing the recording. But this is
my own view point as a mobile user ;)

On the Atom front, the tick is to make abstraction of the word
"syndication". Doing so and re-reading the RFC, you will no doubt find out
you can do what the XEP is meant to achieve using Atom elements. The result
is slightly more verbose, this is true, but many Atom elements are optional.
In case you would want to look at an example, I suggest you point your
browser at http://antecipate.blogspot.com/2006/10/lets-archive-fud.html

Jean-Louis